Munich, 14. December 2023 18:00 to 20:30
Barara Hannigan, “one of the great musicians on this planet” (Sir Simon Rattle) is in town to perform with the Münchner Philharmoniker – always a reason for rejoicing. The singer and conductor once again presents a varied and unusual program off the mainstream and introduces another great soprano, Aphrodite Patoulidou.
“The power duo Barbara Hannigan and Aphrodite Patoulidou are not afraid to bring dark feelings like sorrow and loneliness to the fore to get to the bottom of the unanswerable and hence eternal question of existence. Our narrator Malte Arkona shows the audience of this Youth Concert how varied this can sound and demonstrates the comforting power inherent in the music.” (MPhil)
- Charles Edward Ives: “The Unanswered Question”
- Joseph Haydn: Symphony No 44 in E minor, Hob. I:44 “Mourning”
- Ruth Crawford Seeger: Andante for string orchestra
- Traditional: “Outborn”, Icelandic folk song (arranged by Aphrodite Patoulidou and Barbara Hannigan)
- Claude Vivier: “Lonely Child” for soprano and chamber orchestra