Regional Group Munich
Cosmopolitan and ‘gemütlich’
Oktoberfest, Deutsches Museum, FC Bayern, BMW, beer, museums and top-class orchestras. This is what Munich is famous for the world over. We invite you to discover this and much more with us. Enjoy Bavarian culture and the Bavarian way of life with us!
You can experience our ‘village of a million people’ and the surrounding area at more than 30 events each year with scholarship holders from all over the world, from all possible disciplines and from all universities and research institutions in the Greater Munich area. We also visit cities and towns near and far, sometimes together with other regional groups.
It is so easy to find new friends with the DAAD as common ground. My recommendation is to make use of what DAAD Alumni & Friends has to offer!
Matteo Parisi (Italy)
In autumn, we prepare newcomers for their stay at a welcome reception. Contacts are intensified at informal monthly gatherings during the semester. We focus on topics from history, industry, technology and science with experts to guide us, and we look forward to a broad cultural programme. We have great fun hiking, bathing, sledding or canoeing in the Alps and in various beautiful areas in Bavaria.
Our specialist events organized in collaboration with the Tönissteiner Kreis or with DAAD alumni offer particularly fruitful opportunities for exchange. And if you would like to find out more about everyday life in Germany, we will do our best to arrange an invitation to spend a weekend with a family.
‘There is much more to a good time in Munich than just academic success. I greatly enjoy helping scholarship holders to find their way around our beautiful city and feel comfortable.’
‘My name is Felix, and in 2008 I had the opportunity to go to Melbourne for six months with the DAAD. Back in Germany, I am now pleased to have the big, wide world here in Munich, to meet you at our informal gatherings and to go on excursions and city trips with you.’
‘Not very long ago, I was a scholarship holder and keen participant myself. As the youngster in the team, I am especially interested in sports events.’
‘Thanks to the DAAD, I gathered very positive international experiences in Rome and Vienna. For me, spending time with DAAD scholarship holders is a means to pass on these experiences and to keep them alive.’
‘I hope that the DAAD scholars don’t just profit academically from their stay in Munich but also feel that they are gaining a second home, just like I would not want to do without the memories of the times I spent in the USA and England on a DAAD scholarship.’
Find here an overview of all upcoming events.
In addition the following events are in the pipeline:
- Oct./Nov. “Künstlerbücher zur Zeit der Wende” (“Artist’s books at the time of the German reunification”), lecture by DAAD-alumnus and artist’s book collector Reinhard Grüner, on the occation of the German Unity Day
- 19. Dec. 2017 Teatro Subversum, Spanish with German surtitles, Theater Heppel + Ettlich, with DAAD-Alumnus Hugo de las Heras
- Nov./Dec. 2017 Staatsballett “Anna Karenina”, choreography by Christian Spuck, with music by Rachmaninov, Lutoslawski and others
- 7.12.2017 Münchner Kammerorchester with Maximilian Hornung, Cello, music by Haydn, Ligety and Schneid
- 15.1.2018, 2. Youth concert of the Munich Philharmonic with Barbara Hannigan, conductor, music by Debussy, Sibelius, Haydn, Schönberg, Gershwin
- February 2018 Staatsballett, “Onegin”, choreography John Cranko, music by Tschaikowsky
- Hiking Bayerischzell – Seebergkopf
- Castle and palace garden Schleißheim
- Ride with the “Außerfernbahn” and Hiking
- Guided Tour through the Amazon-logistics centre Graben
- Hiking Starnberg – Roman Villa Rustica – Leutstetten – Museum of Local History Starnberg
- Geothermal plant Unterhaching
- Excursion to Hohen Peißenberg with weather station
- Excursion to Ammersee with a boat trip and a hike to monastry Andechs
- Excursion to Bayreuth
- Excursion to Passau, city tour and boat tour on the Danube
- Bavaria-Monument and hall of fame
- Excursion to Landsberg, city tour, hiking in the natural reserve Lech
During the semester, we normally meet every second Tuesday of the month at 7 pm in the LMU-KHG cafeteria. Friends are very welcome.
We are looking for Support!
Are you interested in international exchange? There are many opportunities to participate. Write to us, and find out more!